05 January 2006

60 days for child rape?!

LargeBill points out an outrage in Vermont, where a judge says he doesn't believe in punishment anymore. The crime in question was raping a little girl repeatedly over a period of four years. She was seven when it began.

The man's sentence is 60 days in prison and mandatory counseling.

I had problems with this article besides the obvious. First, the prosecution was asking for eight to twenty years in prison. That's all? This little girl's life has been ruined by this man. I would be very surprised if she hasn't suffered considerable physical damage, which has apparently gone untreated (I assume no one knew this was happening), and I can't even imagine the emotional scarring this experience would leave. This man deserves the death penalty.

(I don't know if Vermont has the death penalty, but I would guess not. That doesn't change the fact that he deserves to be put to death.)

Second, the mother is understandably very upset, but she is quoted as saying something that gives me pause.
"I don't like it," the victim's mother,in tears, told Channel 3. "He should pay for what he did to my baby and stop it here. She's not even home with me and he can be home for all this time, and do what he did in my house," she added.
In her house??? Where the hell was she while her little girl was being raped? And how the hell did she not know something was going on? You can't tell me that little girl wasn't exhibiting fear every time the rapist was around. And the mother didn't notice?

Regardless, as LargeBill points out, the primary lesson of this incident is that the judge in question is no longer fit to serve.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chestertonian Rambler said...

You know, it's funny...

...I might quite possibly agree to abolish the death penalty for murder if I could establish it for rape.

I suppose it's because most murderers have motives I could sympathize with -- hate, greed, insecurity, etc.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Brian B said...

Since you don't have trackbacks.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

Thanks for the link, Brian. I'll see if I can get them turned on.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Brian B said...

I don't think Blogger support them directly, that's why I got Haloscan for my comments.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish to express some

appreciation to you for bailing me

out of this type of setting. Right after



surfing throughout the internet and seeing

opinions which are

not helpful, I assumed my life was over.[url=http://www.cheapoksunglassesoutlet.com]cheap oakley sunglasses[/url] ,Living without

the approaches to

the issues you've solved as a result of this article content

is a serious case, and ones

that might have in a wrong way damaged my

entire career if I had not discovered your blog post. Your ability and

kindness in [url=http://www.cheapoksunglassesoutlet.com]oakley outlet[/url] playing with [url=http://www.cheapoksunglassesoutlet.com]cheap oakley sunglasses[/url] all the stuff was precious. I'm not sure what I

would've done if I hadn't discovered such a point like this. I can now look ahead to my future.

Thanks a lot so much for this

reliable and

results-oriented guide. I won't be reluctant to endorse the blog to anyone who should receive guidance on this subject.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home