13 January 2006

Fry's and Wordsworth

I went to Fry's, the Nerd Mecca, today, and saw an abomination. As I strolled through the appliance section on my way to the cash registers, I saw something flickering out of the corner of my eye. Instinctively, I glanced at it, and saw that it was a television screen. It was mounted on the door of a refrigerator.

Let that sink in for a moment.

A television built into a refrigerator.

A television screen on a refrigerator.

This is so profoundly disturbing that I can't verbalize my dismay. I must resort to Wordsworth: "The world is too much with us; late and soon,/Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers."

I'm still dealing with the concept of television screens inside minivans. I'm not ready to have them in refrigerators yet.

5 Comments:

Anonymous David Lawson said...

A television screen on a refrigerator.

Sounds like something out of an old Tex Avery cartoon

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, this is apparently the latest accessory in refridgerators.


The great thing is, if you have digital cable, you can watch channel 207 - the "What's Inside Your Fridge" channel.

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whither is fled the visionary gleam?

Where is it now, the glory, and the dream?

Dave in Texas

12:50 PM  
Blogger laura said...

I think its totally awesome. First of all, its completely decadent and unnecessary. Big plus right there.

But then imagine...thousands of people going back to eating at the kitchen table.

They still will have their eyes glued to the dummybox, but its a start.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous steve_in_hb said...

I like it. There are already those lounge chairs and sofas that have an ice chest built in to the armrests. If you own the refrigerator also, you can get an extra minute of tv in while grabbing beers to restock the couch.

I find the proliferation of tvs for marketing purposes much more annoying. Pumping gas - there's a screen on the pump pushing commercials. Buying tomatos - screen right over the bin with commercials. Waiting at the supermarket cashier - screens with commercials. An aural asault to go with the visual assault of insipid women's magazines and gossip rags (oh, wait, I repeat myself).

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home