27 January 2006

My Specialty: Random Remarks

Although these are tied together by a common thread: news items I missed this week.
  1. Canadian elections: Congratulations!
  2. Palestinian elections: As I said over at AOSHQ, I don't get what all this "shock" is about. I'm far from an acute observer of international politics, and I wasn't shocked at all.
  3. Ann Coulter's recent remark on poisoning Justice Stevens: She started losing me when she made the "mandate" crack about that gay governor, and completely lost me with the Dread Justice Roberts's nomination, when she did everything she could to imply he was a second Souter. I didn't think any of the evidence pointed that way, myself, and I also thought his nomination was part of a shrewd plan to replace O'Connor with a Rehnquist-type so that we could then replace Rehnquist with a Scalia-type, resulting in a net "rightward" shift. Which is more or less what's happening.

    I still think Ann Coulter's stuff can be funny on occasion, but for me, she really jumped the shark at that point.

    And on the topic of Scalia vs. Thomas, I tend to lean more toward Thomas's view of matters. He's more of an originalist while Scalia is more of a strict constructionalist. Just look at their differing opinions in Gonzales v. Raich to see what I mean.
  4. Iran: This topic is simply guaranteed to depress anyone. Ahmadinejad is clearly an f'n lunatic, and every week that goes by makes me more certain that we (and Israel) will be at war with Iran shortly. I wonder if the President is going to address the issue at the SotU next week.
  5. Mexican incursions on our border: Speaking of war...isn't it a pretty clear-cut act of war when a country's armed forces come across our border the way theirs are doing?
Hey, State of the Union is next week!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jordan said...

The next Mexican Army unit to cross our border gets an all expense paid trip to Cuba (Guantanamo Bay, that is).

5:08 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

I would certainly hope so...but I suspect that President Bush is too buddy-buddy with Fox to do anything of the sort.

5:09 PM  
Blogger mrmississauga said...

Ah, the Canadian Elections are over and went off without any violence. We had a politician who ran as a Conservative last election and won,ran again but this time for the Liberals, we will have to wait and see if she crosses the floor and joins another party. The Bloc (Quebec)Party is still willing to work with the other parties and there is no talk of seperation yet. I just hope that with Mr. Harper as our Prime Minister he doesn't send our children to fight a war that can't be won, I guess no one learned anything from Vietnam.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Jordan said...

I just hope that with Mr. Harper as our Prime Minister he doesn't send our children to fight a war that can't be won, I guess no one learned anything from Vietnam.

With Canada, any war is a "war that can't be won."

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Jordan said...

And by the way, how can he possibly send children to war? Doesn't Canada have a minimum enlistment age (18 I'm guessing).

And you're the one who doesn't know anything about Vietnam. You probably think that the Tet Offensive was a defeat for the U.S, don't you? Why don't you go here and learn something for a change:

"The Tet Offensive resulted in a crushing operational defeat for the Vietnamese, crippling the PLAF. The Tet Offensive is widely seen, though perhaps incorrectly, as a turning point of the war in Vietnam, in which the NLF and PAVN won an enormous psychological and propaganda victory leading to the loss of popular support for the War in the United States and the eventual withdrawal of American troops."

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home