27 January 2006

Today in the Science News: Part 1: Space News

Orlon suit being made into a beacon:
Next week, the guys on the ISS will launch an old Orlon suit, which will transmit a greeting in several languages for a few weeks before it falls to its fiery death. Apparently, the transmission also includes a still TV image, but NASA hasn't revealed just what this image will be. (Feel free to insert your own Uranus joke here. I know you boys are all thinking of one.)

Proposal: Drop giant wrecking ball on Mars:
I wouldn't have named it "Thor." Dropping a giant copper ball just to see what happens seems more like a Loki thing.

Self-healing spacecraft skin!:
'Nuff said.

Earth-like planet found:
But it's as cold as Pluto-the-KBO, alas. On the bright side, the project that discovered it is called "OGLE." Insert your own "heavenly bodies" joke here.

Stargazing: Saturn:
Is there any planet more gorgeous than Saturn? While the stark red vistas of Mars fire my instinct to explore, the soft beauty of Saturn's muted colors inspire a feeling of serenity.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack Michaels said...

You didn't think I would let you get away with this, did you?

Pluto is a planet.

Stop the hatin' and embrace the frigis world.

Pluto would love you if you'd let it.

3:17 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

Perhaps I'm too frigid to appreciate something else musclin' in on my territory.

Or too short and self-hating to give other size-challenged objects a fair rap.

Or maybe I'm just right.

I lean toward the latter theory myself.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home