20 February 2006

Lewis & Clark Quotation of the Day

As originally penned by "Captain" Clark:
Great joy in camp we are in view of the Ocian that great Pacific Octean which we Been so long anxious to See.
I put scare quotation marks around "captain" because Clark wasn't actually a captain at the time of the Corps of Discovery's expedition. He and Lewis just agreed to call him a captain so that they would be the same rank. However, Congress recently promoted Clark to captain, retroactive to 1803, so I guess you could say he was a captain. Except that he wasn't really. But a retroactive promotion is still a promotion, so he was. But not really.

It makes my head hurt.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Mr. Clark, he is busting my balls lately.

- Merriweather Lewis, 1803

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pimp.


- William Clark

6:20 PM  
Blogger Alicia Bennett said...

Hi, I was surfing the internet for something new and here I am at your blog. I'm quite impressed , with how you have put it all together.

I'll be coming back again.

Cheers,

www birding

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home