20 February 2006

Relationship advice, Pentagon style

My dad sent me some crazy emails, as is his wont, and while checking them out on snopes.com, as is my wont, I happened to click on their "Daily Snopes" link, and found this story.
U.S. Army chaplains are trying to teach troops how to pick the right spouse, through a program called "How to Avoid Marrying a Jerk."

The matchmaking advice comes as military family life is being stressed by two tough wars. Defense Department records show more than 56,000 in the Army - active, National Guard and Reserve - have divorced since the campaign in Afghanistan started in 2001.
That's sad, but not particularly surprising. I can readily imagine that repeated deployments are very hard on a family, especially if, as the article mentions, the soldier returns with severe wounds.

But then the Army, being the Army, has to bring in acronyms.
The "no jerks" program is also called "P.I.C.K. a Partner," for Premarital Interpersonal Choices and Knowledge.

It advises the marriage-bound to study a partner's F.A.C.E.S. - family background, attitudes, compatibility, experiences in previous relationships, and skills they'd bring to the union.

It teaches the lovestruck to pace themselves with a R.A.M. chart - the Relationship Attachment Model - which basically says don't let your sexual involvement exceed your level of commitment or level of knowledge about the other person.
I'll let that last one speak for itself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Monty said...

Gotta love the Army. I like the old motto better: "If the Army wanted you to have a wife, they'd have issued you one."

5:33 PM  
Blogger Spindrift said...

Hello, Just wandering the blogosphere and here I am at your blog. I enjoy the style of how you have put it all together. I'll be coming back again.

Regards,

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home