19 February 2006

Two-million-year-old fossil murder mystery solved

A bird did it.

This reminds me of that Monk episode in which Monk approached an ancient skeleton and stared at it carefully.
Monk: This man didn't freeze to death. He was murdered. There's a puncture wound in the side of his skull.
Natalie: It was over 30,000 years ago.
Monk: Well, there's no statute of limitations on murder. I think I know what happened...
Natalie: Detective Monk, why don't we solve my case first and then we'll come back here later and figure out what happened to Og, okay?
The trouble with Monk quotations is that they lose an awful lot without Tony Shalhoub's delivery (or my impression thereof; I can't do accents at all, but my impressions are better than Colin Mochrie's). For example, one of my favorites: "There's an old saying: Don't...change anything...ever." Still funny, but just not the same without Monk's gestures and facial expressions.

I'll leave you with this thought: It's a gift...

...and a curse.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you hear about the archeological discovery at college station this week?

they found the 1932 hide and go seek team captain.


d in t

8:37 PM  
Blogger Monty said...

Monk is great. I was worried that the show would get stale -- the same shtick, over and over again. But Shaloub keeps it interesting, always finding new "Monk moments".

I still think Sharona was a better foil for Monk than Natalie Teeger is; Sharona wasn't a cute little pixie, but a hard-as-nails babe who had Monk's number. Plus she was gorgeous in that "Italian dirty-girl" way that sends my limbic system into overdrive. Oh, man!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

I like Natalie better...I think the humor is a little less lowbrow with her. Not that I didn't like Sharona. I was disappointed that she left. But I do like Natalie.

As for your other observation, let's just say Monk isn't a show I watch for eye candy.

Oh, yeah...there are some seriously cool posters at work that are about avoiding germs (washing hands, keeping raw foods off surfaces, etc.) and are Monk-themed. I love them.

4:20 PM  
Blogger JFH said...

Hmmm, This is just some advise:

I wouldn't try to list Monk quotes any more.

You'll thank me later.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Enas Yorl said...

Monk is the bomb. I like Natalie too - she doesn't indulge him as much as Sharona did and he's had to adapt.

Here, have a wipe.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

Nature! I got nature on my hands! Wipe! Wipe!

Sometimes it's hard to laugh at Monk when it hits just a little too close to home. When I was living on campus and eating in the cafeteria, I came very close to buying some wipes, because all the surfaces were so germy.

(I haven't gotten a single communicable disease since I moved off campus. I'm sure there's a connection.)

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home