08 March 2006

A crush on Hermione??

Over at AOSHQ today, Ace posted something or other on Lindsay Lohan and happened to remark in passing that Hermione is "exactly the girl we all would have fallen in love with when at that age." (emphasis in original)

What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks? No one would have fallen in love with Hermione. This is a clearly average-looking girl who cleans up pretty, but doesn't bother to do it very often, and is a ruthless, bossy, arrogant, self-righteous bully who is also paralyzed by a crippling fear of failure (witness her boggart) and has no real knowledge of interpersonal interactions. She can mirror a successful, mature image to adults, but when it comes to her peers, she doesn't know how to behave and settles for bossing the hell out of them.

If you guys all would have fallen in love with her, then how come no one fell in love with me back in my middle and high school days?

(Don't get me wrong; I love Hermione. But she has a lot of growing up to do. And she is heading straight for a major lesson in the dangers of hubris. And, unfortunately, that lesson will have more serious consequences for her than it does for most.)

I would add something about the dysfunction of the Hermione/Ron 'ship, but I have a paper due in 10 hours, and I should probably get started on that.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hermionne sounds too much like "Herman"

Which makes me think of Fred Gwynn.

so I'm like, totally cool

d in t

11:35 PM  
Anonymous geoff said...

I always fell for the nerds. I'm weak that way.

12:06 PM  
Blogger JFH said...

I was in the cool crowd and had a crush on a nerdy girl in the band... Girl wouldn't give me the time of day (think it's the "Pretty in Pink" effect)

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Shawn, but not lowercased shawn said...

You should be awfully glad that the really hardcore Harry Potter fans won't ever read this.

It's crazy, some of those nuts reach DailyKos levels of intensity and insanity.

You haven't lived until you read a huge dissertation on how the "hippogriff tattoo" moment of Book 6 is J.K. Rowling giving them the finger.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bite My Clank!

-- JKR

10:43 PM  
Blogger Carnival said...

Hi there, I was surfing the internet and I found your blog. I enjoy the style of how this all works.

I'll be coming back again.

Regards,

binoculars birding

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home