23 March 2006

Some random bits from the science news

Mr. O getting ready to take its first pictures:
I smell a new desktop background.

It isn't close enough to Mars for scientific work. This is just practice, apparently, to make sure the scientists know how to use the camera. Mr. O will be settled in a closer orbit after about five months of aerobraking, and then science can begin.

That settles it. Whales are officially the sexiest animals around:
Turns out their songs have elaborate grammar.

(My favorite bartender needs to stop by and geek out over language with me. Y'all should have seen our im chat the night we found a webpage on animal adjectives.)

The numbers, they are making my brain hurt!:
I've never heard of this particular mental disorder, and all I have to say is, I pity the sad, empty lives these people must lead. I can't imagine a world without differential equations.

Also, the serial shoplifter guy? I think he's just looking for an excuse. I'm afraid of roaches, but you don't see me burning a house down just because there's a roach.

LiveScience's headline: "Humans Fuel Worst Extinction Since End of Dinosaurs":
Good work, guys.
The report also makes this appeal: "Apart from nature's immediate usefulness to humankind, many would argue that every life form has an intrinsic right to exist, and deserves protection."
I beg to differ. There is at least one life form that deserves to be stomped on every time its nasty little antennae poke out of the unclean holes in which it preferentially lives.

I think you all know of what I speak.

Seriously cool: Molecular machine:
Definitely read this story. The apparatus is actually two molecular machines, and demonstrates for the first time that one molecular machine can controllably drive the action of another.

1 Comments:

Anonymous geoff said...

There is at least one life form that deserves to be stomped on every time its nasty little antennae poke out of the unclean holes in which it preferentially lives.

I think you all know of what I speak.


Now, now. Democrats are a vital part of the political ecosystem.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home