21 April 2006

The Battle of San Jacinto

On April 21, 1836, 910 Texicans led by Sam Houston attacked and thoroughly routed a force of 1,200 roughly 1,600 led by General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. Houston's army suffered 9 killed and 30 wounded, while Santa Anna saw 630 killed, 208 wounded, and 730, including himself, captured.

The Battle of San Jacinto, which we, as the victors, pronounce "San Juh-sin-to," was the final battle of the campaign for Texas independence. With this victory, the Republic of Texas, which included what is now New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, and Oklahoma, was born. It would remain an independent nation for nine years.

I believe "Texas Independence Day" is actually March 2, since that is the date on which the Texas Declaration of Independence was enacted in 1836; but for me, April 21 is the date that never passes without a moment spared to think of the heroes of the Texas Revolution.

Not coincidentally, April 21 is also the date on which we Aggies celebrate Muster, about which you can read here. I'll probably blog more on that later tonight.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not feeling so hot.

Davy Crockett

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Matt30 said...

Aren't you supposed to be a whiz at math? Let's see here...start with 1200, kill 630, leave 208 wounded on the battlefield. How many does that leave to be captured?

I'm very sorry to have pointed this out, I'm not usually like this.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

a) Wikipedia's numbers (which have changed since I last looked at the page)
b) I do DiffEQ in my head but require calculators to perform basic addition.

:-)

Anyway, thanks, I changed it to about 1600.

10:58 PM  
Blogger reverse_vampyr said...

Hi Mrs. Peel. I'm new to your blog and really enjoyed the fact that you remembered The Battle of San Jacinto. With all that's going on with illegal immigration right now, especially with what amounts to an invasion of millions of undocumented Mexicans, it's important to remember how we got our southwestern states.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

Thanks for stopping by!

We got the rest of the Southwest through the Mexican-American War. Mmm, President Polk.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Hi there, I was surfing the internet and I found your blog. I like the way how you have put it all together. I'll be coming back again.

Regards,

www birdwatching

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home