27 April 2006

Odds and Ends

As of 11:30 this morning, I had slept 12 of the preceding 76 hours. Since I had finally turned in the last assignment due this week and given all my presentations (I still have an exam tomorrow), I promptly proceeded to nap the afternoon away, and now I am feeling much better.

Some useful tips for others who might be similarly suffering from sleep deprivation:
  1. When removing your pants on campus, take the keys out of the pocket before you sling them over your shoulder. It'll save you a (thankfully successful) trip to the lost and found later.
  2. Keep copies of your work on your school-provided H:/ drive(s) and on your own computer as well as on your flash drive. This way, if you forget your flash drive in the departmental office and don't notice until after hours, you won't have to restart your project from f'n scratch the night before it's due.
  3. Do not drink Dr. Pepper. The combination of sugar and lack of sleep will engage the babbling reflex, and you will irritate everyone around you with your constant stream of irrelevant chatter.
Anyway, I haven't been commenting or posting, but I have occasionally glanced over the posts of folks on my blogroll. Ace is the go-to place for all things McCarthy, and the Innocent Bystanders are looking less innocent every day. (I like "All-Ace All-Star Team" better. Too bad we didn't think of that.)

The Battalion has a cover story today entitled, "With finals approaching, students hit the books." It's that sort of brilliant investigative reporting that keeps me picking up the Batt. (That, and Academic Accolades. C's and Tease has gotten better all semester, too. The "lingerie for men" strip had me laughing for a couple days. I also made use of "And a hot load of Napalm!" in at least one away message.)

Also, Dave at GR has a post that caused me to write such a long comment in response that I felt bad about leaving it on his site and decided to put it here instead. Dave complained that at McDonald's, they don't give him ketchup unless he asks for it, and when he does ask, they give him very little. I have the opposite problem: Whataburger often gives me ketchup without asking. I hate ketchup. So, Dave's comment inspired the following rant, which I have tentatively entitled Mrs. Peel's Burger Manifesto.
Go to Whataburger instead. They always either ask me if I want ketchup (which I f'n don't, ugh!) or put it in the bag without asking. They're pretty generous with the packets.

Besides, I've had a McDonald's burger exactly once in my life, and it was disgusting. So disgusting, in fact, that even though it was a good 15 years ago, I have never forgotten how appalled I was at the flavor, and never even thought about trying another. And don't get me started on the weird grey color of Burger King burgers (not to mention that after those King commercials, I don't want to reward them with my business), and as for Wendy's, chicken nuggets are their reason for existence as far as I'm concerned. (I didn't even know they sold burgers until fairly recently because I never look at the menu.) For fast food burgers, Whataburger is the only way to go.

Actually, there is a local burger joint called Carter Burger that is incredibly good. Plus they have tater tots, which are far superior to fries. But alas, it is not a chain.

Before I discovered Carter Burger, I used to go to Texadelphia when I wanted a burger. They also had good queso. But then Texadelphia closed for some reason, leaving no place on Northgate where a burger could be obtained (McDonald's was never an option, as discussed above). I suffered through several burger-poor years in CS, when the only time I got a whiff of a burger was when I got one in the Underground, before being pointed to Carter Burger.

At home, I used to go to Skeeter's, where I could get a burger that had been mesquite-smoked. Oh my yes. (For those who don't know, mesquite is a tree that grows in the Southwest. When its wood is used to smoke barbecue or burgers, it adds a distinctive & delicious flavor.) Unfortunately, Skeeter's changed their recipes, and nothing tasted good anymore, so I quit going there. I started going to Sweet Mesquite instead, so I could get my mesquite fix and incredibly good onion rings. But now Sweet Mesquite has changed its name and presumably its management. It remains to be seen whether they have retained their successful recipes.
Anyway, all this talk about burgers reminds me that I haven't eaten today. I'm thinking I'll have a you-know-what.

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Whataburger's reach does not extend to the North. Wow, as if there aren't enough reasons to remain comfortably ensconced here in Texas. Y'all already don't have decent Dr. Pepper, and now you tell me there are no Whataburgers? The North must be a desolate, miserable wasteland.

(Incidentally: Dr. Pepper is not worth drinking unless it's bottled in a glass bottle or aluminum can, under the authority of Plano. Check the label before you buy. The exception, of course, is Dublin Dr. Pepper, which is made with 100% pure cane sugar and is simply sublime. In addition, Dr. Pepper must be served chilled and without ice, as ice will negatively impact the flavor. And don't even think about getting it from a soda fountain, because they never get the mixture right.)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

When removing your pants on campus, [...]

(Blinks a few times.)

There's got to be more to that story!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

Actually, we had a presentation, so I was changing into my suit (in the ladies' room, of course).

I like to employ attention-getting techniques that keep you all coming back to my blog, hoping that eventually I'll post that full-length picture of me in a short skirt, low-cut shirt, and black leather boots.

MWA HA HA HA HA HA!

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Dex in TX said...

y'know who makes a tasty burger? Red Robin. The Royal Red Robin with the fried egg on top...mmmm.
Science will be able to grow me an all new heart someday. I hope. 'Cause Red Robin serves bottomless steak fries with it. My arm is tingling just thinking about it...

10:26 PM  
Anonymous HayZeus said...

You too hate on the King, eh? For the life of me I still don't understand how it is that anyone wouldn't want to wake up to egg! And meat! And cheese! And meat! And cheese! Or alternately there's meat! On top of meat! On top of meat! There you go! Some people just have no appreciation for the finer things in life. :P That said, the burgers I can live without. ;)

12:04 AM  
Anonymous someone said...

Oddly enough, the best burgers on the planet are in the East Village.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Michael said...

hoping that eventually I'll post that full-length picture of me in a short skirt, low-cut shirt, and black leather boots

Oddly enough, that's working with me, even though after half a century on this planet you would think I was a little smarter than that.

:>)

5:15 PM  
Anonymous HayZeus said...

Charlie Brown always ended up believing that Lucy wouldn't actually yank the football away from him at the last minute either. ;)

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home