04 April 2006

Sometimes a headline just grabs your attention.

"Spider-hunting nudist ends with ring of fire":
A red-faced Australian nudist who tried to set fire to what he thought was a deadly funnel web spider's nest ended up with badly burned buttocks, emergency officials said Monday.

The 56-year-old man was at a nudist colony near Bowral, about 60 miles southwest of Sydney, Sunday when he spotted what he believed to be a funnel web spider hole.

Ambulance workers, including a helicopter crew, were called to the scene after the man poured petrol down the hole and then lit a match in an attempt to kill the offending arachnid.

I've read this three times and I can't see how you burn your ass by throwing a match in a spider's hole. I think there's something more to the story.

"The exploding gasoline fumes left the man with burns to 18 percent of his body, on the upper leg and buttocks," the NRMA Careflight helicopter rescue service said in a statement.

It said the man's lack of clothing probably contributed to the extent of his burns.

No shit?
NRMA Careflight said it was called to a property in the same area in January when another man kicked a spider that was crawling up the wall of a friend's cabin. The man broke his leg in two places, it said.
Spiders 2, Aussies 0.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fell in to a burning ring of fire
I went down,down,down
and the flames went higher.
And it burns,burns,burns
the ring of fire
the ring of fire.

Johnny Cash

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Michael said...

See, there's this service called Orkin I use . . .

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Michael said...

Cuz, when I'm not in my Batman suit, I like to walk aroung the house nekkid, and don't want to be firebombing no spiders.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Dave in Texas said...

All I know is Australia is f'n' dangerous with their poisonous snakes and spiders and stuff. Yikes!

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home