20 May 2006

Blog Maintenance & Miscellanity

I've updated the sidebar, including the blogroll and links of interest. If you've blogrolled me and I haven't returned the favor, please drop a note in the comments. (I guarantee the omission is unintentional.)

The new link of interest is the summer reading post, which will be updated continually as I keep reading. I'll also post a review of each book. Most reviews will actually deserve the name rather than going off on tangents regarding obsolete computer games.

Finally, Brian B links to a fun quiz. My results:

Your Linguistic Profile::
55% General American English
30% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern
0% Yankee

I'm disappointed I haven't got a higher percentage of Dixie, but very pleased at the 0% Yankee. And my favorite question was #5.


Update: Also, the quiz should have asked what you call this little guy, 'cause that's definitely regional. Personally, I say he's a doodlebug.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Enas Yorl said...

My early years were in Texas and Florida, but we moved to Maryland when I was in 2nd grade. In elementary school there I had to go to a special "speach therapy" class to "cure" me of my southern accent. Sadly I'm mostly just generica now.

1:07 AM  
Anonymous geoff said...

60% General American English
20% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Michael said...

***Your Linguistic Profile::***

65% General American English

10% Upper Midwestern

5% Dixie

5% Midwestern

5% Yankee

9:48 AM  
Anonymous kevlarchick said...

55% general English, probably because I've taught English comp. I do love a few Texas phrases like "I'm fixin to.." and of course "y'all."

My kids both grew up in Texas and were teased mercilessly when we returned to Ohio.

2:32 PM  
Blogger laura said...

That little guy is a pill bug.

I understand some people call them sow bugs.

They're everywhere you turn over a leaf around here.

Not insects but terrestrial crustaceans, if I recall correctly.

Oh by the way, you're a whore.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

Yep, they are crustaceans. They go by a lot of other names as well. I think the official name is woodlouse.

I prefer the term "scarlet woman."

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Elzbth said...

65% General American English
15% Yankee
10% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
0% Dixie

I guess I am just generally American. I am baffled by the yankee, upper midwestern, and midwestern part, though. I have no idea how that happened.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous geoff said...

That there's a pillbug, but I swear I heard that term when I was a kid in Austin.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

Well, them city folks in Austin never did fit in jest right.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

35% Yankee
30% General American English
15% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

Makes sense, I suppose.

Question 6 about the drinking/water fountain should have
included "Bubbler" -- that's what we call 'em 'round these parts.

And another good question would have been:
What do you call the things that go on top of ice cream?
- Sprinkles
- Jimmies


Bart

8:48 PM  
Anonymous geoff said...

What do you call the things that go on top of ice cream?
- Sprinkles
- Jimmies


- Contamination

10:30 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

-Hantavirus

10:09 AM  
Anonymous skinbad said...

That's a potato bug.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home