20 May 2006

Successful shopping trip

So there I was, following my friends around, mentally composing a rant against today's fashions that would have touched on, among other things, the difficulty inherent in finding clothes that are both fashionable and professional, and the fact that I've been waiting ten frickin' years for the f'n Sixties to go out of style.

And then I saw it. The cutest dress EVER. It's very Fifties...polka dots, poofy skirt, sash, the whole nine yards. And it couldn't fit me better if it had been made custom for me. I can't wait to wear it for swing dancing.

I also got a cute top. It was a little more money than I'd usually spend on myself, but my wallet is overflowing with cash at the moment thanks to graduating, and most of the money came with specific instructions to spend it frivolously.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Michael said...

You seriously know how to swing dance? You should write about it.

I knew this lady named Grace a few years back when I lived in the D.C. area. She used to go to competitions with her partner. She was a LARGE woman, but she was a star on the dance floor.

Swing dancers are a really cool little sub-culture, kind of like people who are totally into the art of square dancing.

I remember Grace talking about the importance of personality, as opposed to purely athletic dance moves, when you are competing. She was way to big for her partner to throw her around like other couples. But she and her partner could win prizes with sheer charm and artisty.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Michael said...

Last paragraph:

to = too
artisty = artistry

Damn!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

I'm no expert on swing dancing, but I love it. Even though Lindy circles make me very, very dizzy.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous kevlarchick said...

I love the dresses out this summer. Feminine, ladylike, not skanky or hippie. Almost 50s style.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took a few ballroom dancing lessons.
No swing, just the Foxtrot, Rumba, Cha-Cha, and Waltz. I like the Waltz the best.
I still stink, though.

Anyway, an excellent film to see is Mad Hot Ballroom.

Bart

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home