19 May 2006

Summer Reading List

I'm starting with the books in my bookshelf that, for whatever reason, I haven't gotten around to reading yet. So, in no particular order:
  • The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson - Yes, I know it's BS.
  • The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer - You know, that nekkid guy in A Knight's Tale. He was kind of cool.
  • The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
  • The Odyssey by Homer - I'll probably precede this with the e-book of the Iliad. I haven't got a paper copy of the full work.
  • The Art of War by Sun Tzu - This was a graduation present. I've been wanting to read it for years. Especially since Wesley Snipes was kind of hot in the movie.
  • The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi - Also a grad present. Looks really interesting.
  • Paradise Lost by John Milton
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
  • Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
  • All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
  • Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn - I actually bought this a month or two ago, but have been saving it until I could have time to enjoy it properly. Grand Admiral Thrawn mustn't be rushed, after all.
I'm also going to read The Da Vinci Code, since I figure I ought to read it before I continue bashing it, and Foucault's Pendulum since I enjoyed The Name of the Rose by the same author (Umberto Eco), and Ace's commendation got me interested. And whatever else I pick up at the library.

And yes, I read wicked fast.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before you go wasting time on The Last of the Mohicans, you really need to read Mark Twain's The Literary Offenses of Fenimore Cooper

http://users.telerama.com/~joseph/cooper/cooper.html

d in t

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

But...Hawkeye!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Michael said...

Foucault's Pendulum is going to be very different from The Name of the Rose. You couldn't make a movie out of it. It's well worth reading, but I'm just saying don't expect another medieval detective novel. It's very dense, to the point of being tedious, with all the arcane historical/religious stuff you have to wade through while the plot advances at a glacial pace. That's not a bad thing; all the trivia is enjoyable in its own right. Just don't be expecting something along the lines of Name of the Rose.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous geoff said...

Read Holy Blood, Holy Grail before you read The Da Vinci Code. It's better written, and you'll see why the authors of HB,HG are suing Dan Brown. I read four or five of Brown's books: I think if you combine them all he may have nearly developed one character. Really one of the worst authors I've ever read.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Peel said...

Geez, who's not suing Dan Brown?

Anyway, I just want to read it so I can mock him properly.

Btw, Dave, that was hilarious. I love Twain.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P, one of the funniest things I've ever read was "Fenimore Cooper's Litery Offenses," by Mark Twain.
It's a an essay loaded with sarcasm critcizing Cooper's writing.

Bart

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I see that you and Dave have already discussed Twain's essay.
Darn.

Bart

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home